The partners of A.I.R. Dubai – The Dubai Arts & Culture Authority, Delfina Foundation, Art Dubai and Tashkeel – are inviting Emirati curators to apply for its 2016 residency programme, scheduled to run from January 25 to March 25, 2016.
Applications are open to curators or recent arts graduates interested in pursuing research, curatorial and critical writing opportunities with A.i.R Dubai. The assistant curator will work closely with the appointed curator, supporting them in all curatorial responsibilities and will be expected to develop a thematic framework for A.i.R Dubai's public programming. We are particularly interested in involving other local artists and organisations, universities and schools and are seeking to engage with the public through a series of talks, workshops and screenings which will relate to the curator's independent research and that of fellow resident artists.
The assistant curator will be in residence at Tashkeel's studios alongside international and locally based artists, selected by the partners, with the curator informing this process of selection. The residency will also have access to a traditional house in the Al Fahidi Historical Neighbourhood, for research or studio purposes. Each artist will be commissioned to produce new work for Art Dubai Projects, the fair's not-for-profit programme of activities. The artists will also be required to commit to the expanded education and outreach programme, with talks and workshops taking place throughout the two-month residency, engaging local schools, universities and the arts community at large, with the guidance of the curator and assistant curator. Additionally, for the period of Dubai Art Week (in March, dates tbc), the appointed Al Fahidi house will be transformed into an exhibition space.
Prior to the residency the curator, assistant curator and artists will be invited to visit Dubai/take part in a research period for two weeks in September 2015 – from 13 to 27 September. During this time, there will be introductions to all the partners along with research period and opportunity to engage with the curator and artists.
The selected applicant will be an emergent curator holding UAE nationality. The jury will be seeking applicants who have demonstrated interest in curating through previous studies, projects and research, with a particular interest in the UAE/Gulf/Middle East. It is expected that the assistant curator will use the opportunity to further develop curatorial skills and interests, building further links within and knowledge of the Gulf, with a view to working with artists based in, or ideas developed within, this region in the future. During the residency, the assistant curator will be expected to:
- Support the curator throughout the programme
- Conduct studio/gallery visits
- Provide curatorial support, with the guidance of the curator, to A.I.R. Dubai's resident artists and their respective commissions
- Manage the residency blog, including making contributions and collating written and image-led content, along with proofing of the curator and artists contributions – each is required to submit weekly contributions.
- With the guidance of the curator, conceptualise and oversee a public programme around A.i.R. Dubai and its partners (such as Tashkeel, Campus Art Dubai and Sikka Art Fair)
- With the partners and curator, develop a programme for the two week September research period – to include a full introduction to the city, its different neighbourhoods and characteristics, the country's history and heritage, along with current contexts.
- Be available full time for the duration of the residency – January 25 to March 25, 2016
- Be available full time for the introductory visit - from 13 to 27 September
THE SELECTED ASSISTANT CURATOR WILL RECEIVE:
- An 8-week studio residency in A.i.R. Dubai's residency studios at Tashkeel and with access to a house in the Al Fahidi Historical Neighbourhood
- A fee of 15,000 UAE Dirhams
- Support in accessing artist studios, galleries and institutions in the UAE
- An opportunity to be involved in developing research and discussion with the project partners
- An opportunity to shape A.i.R. Dubai's education and exhibition programme
- An opportunity to shape and inform the Al Fahidi exhibition
The assistant curatorial residency for A.I.R. Dubai is an application-based process. The recipient will be chosen by a jury comprising of representatives from each partner along with the appointed curator.
Applicants are expected to submit:
- The completed application form
- Recent CV/resume
- A minimum of one writing sample
- The contact details of two referees
Please click here to download submission form only electronic copies of the above in ONE email to firstname.lastname@example.org. In the subject line of your email, please specify: A.I.R. DUBAI 2016 ASSISTANT CURATORIAL RESIDENCY.
Closing date for applications: 21 AUGUST 2015.
All applicants will be notified of the panel's decision by 6 September 2015.